Super yummy and satisfying — even if not gorgeous.
Contributor: Carolyn Edwards
Makes about 50 small, round cookies
5 cups ground almonds or almond meal
1 1/4 shredded unsweetened coconut
1 1/4 cups sugar
7 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange zest
• Preheat oven to 300.
• Use either parchment paper or silpat mats on a cookie sheet
• Mix the almond meal, sugar, and coconut and orange zest in a large bowl.
• Beat the egg whites with the salt and vanilla to soft peaks
• Fold the whites into the dry ingredients. Depending on the consistency of the almond meal, you may need to add either a little water or a little more almond meal to get to cookie batter consistency. Should be stiff enough to scoop with an ice cream scoop and hold its shape.
• Scoop the mixture on the parchment or silpat.
• Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden. Check after 20 minutes.
Pending. Until then, direct all questions to Carolyn Edwards.