The best things about New Year’s Day is bowl games and chili. We always have a pot of chili made late morning so people can help themselves throughout the day.
This recipe is adapted from Margaret Manning’s Chili. Margaret was the book editor of the Boston Globe. I’ve added a few things from another Chili Recipe. I always at least double this recipe so we have leftovers.
Contributor: John Elder
2 lbs coarsely ground well trimmed beef (tell the butcher you’d like a “chili grind” and they will grind it for you on the spot)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium yellow onions
3 garlic bulbs, chopped
3 Tbs Chili powder
1 Tbs Cumin seed
1 Tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs oregano
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (our kids don’t like it too spicy so adjust accordingly)
1 large can Italian Peeled tomatoes
2 4 oz cans tomato sauce
2 cans red kidney beans
1 bottle Sierra Nevada Beer, or similar
Lemon juice (optional)
Beef Stock (optional)
• Sear beef in Chili pot until cooked through.
• Add oil, onions and garlic and wilt, approximately 10 minutes.
• Add Chili powder through tomato sauce, stir and simmer for an hour.
• Add kidney beans and beer and simmer for another hour or until ready.
• Lemon juice and beef stock can be added according to taste.