Incredible. Unbelievable. Delicious.
Contributor: John Elder
Serves 4 people
• ¼ small onion, thinly sliced
• 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar, divided
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 1 cup torn country-style bread, (from about ¼ small loaf)
• 2 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 pound cherry tomatoes
• Pinch of sugar
• ¾ cup parsley leaves with tender stems
• Combine onion and 2 Tbsp. vinegar in a small bowl.
• Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
• Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
• Add bread; season with salt and pepper.
• Cook, tossing, until golden brown, 5–8 minutes.
• Transfer to a medium bowl.
• Wipe out skillet.
• Using a thin, sharp knife, cut bones and cartilage from chicken breasts.
• Pound chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to ¼” thick; season with salt and pepper.
• Heat 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil in skillet over medium-high.
• Cook 1 chicken breast, skin side down, until golden brown and nearly cooked through, about 4 minutes.
• Turn and cook until cooked through, about 1 minute more; second side will not brown. • Transfer to a platter.
• Repeat with remaining cutlet and 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (no need to wipe out skillet).
• Cut half of tomatoes in half.
• Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in same skillet over medium-high.
• Add whole tomatoes; season with salt and pepper.
• Cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly blistered and starting to burst, about 5 minutes.
• Toss in sugar and remaining 1 Tbsp. vinegar.
• Transfer to bowl with croutons.
• Add pickled onion with pickling liquid, halved tomatoes, parsley, and remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil and toss.
• Serve chicken with panzanella spooned over.
• Recipe by Alison Roman found on BonAppetite.com
Respond to Crispy Chicken Cutlets with Cherry Tomato Panzanella