This is Kerri’s FAVE!
Contributor: Kerri Lehmann
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
Chicken Soup Base (10 cups broth and 4 cups shredded chicken)
3/4 cup small pasta shells
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 Parmesan rind, plus grated Parmesan (optional)
1 bunch kale (preferably Tuscan; 3/4 pound), tough stems and ribs removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups)
1 medium zucchini, diced medium
1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Coarse salt and ground pepper
• In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high.
• Add onion and cook until softened, 8 minutes.
• Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
• Add tomatoes with juice and cook until liquid is evaporated, 4 minutes.
• Add broth and bring to a boil.
• Add pasta, carrots, and Parmesan rind, if using, and cook 5 minutes.
• Add kale, zucchini, and chickpeas and cook until zucchini is crisp-tender, 5 minutes.
• Stir in chicken and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
• Season with salt and pepper and remove rind before serving.
• Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.